Summary of Business Experience
· Over 25 years of successful business process and systems engineering experience across industries as diverse as telecommunications, transportation, education, software development, and financial sales.
· Recognized through consistent feedback as an effective technical team leader, consensus builder, and coach to new associates.
· Demonstrated aptitude in the analysis, design, development, and implementation of business processes and software tools.
· Comfortable and effective in sales, customer service, and customer consultation environments.
Business Employment History
Systems Engineer / Business Process Engineer,
Ericsson / Telcordia Technologies, Inc., Piscataway, NJ
(2014 – 2017, contract position)
(2000 – 2007, contract position)
· Facilitation of work sessions to create and maintain process flow diagrams which enabled stakeholders to envision, design, develop, and validate business processes to be automated prior to committing development resources.
· Direct mentoring of new associates resulting in shortened interval to their full utilization on projects.
· Authoring of clear, concise, and complete systems requirements documents.
Business Process Engineer / Solution Architect,
AT&T Labs, Middletown, NJ
(2011 - 2014, contract position)
(2008 – 2010, contract position)
(1998 – 2000, contract position)
· Instituted rigorous use of process flow diagrams converting text-based ‘use cases’ into process flow diagrams depicting and defining automated diagnosis and surveillance of Ethernet networks.
· Proactively engaged stakeholders (product managers, solution architects, network engineers) in reviews of process flow diagrams to validate network diagnostic approach.
· Demonstrated via a prototype an innovative, flexible, and adaptive approach to network diagnostics using a table-driven dynamic assignment algorithm.
· Created business cases and high-level requirements in support large-scale software project planning.
· Facilitated multi-application requirements reviews.
Business Process Consultant,
NYC Department of Education, New York, NY
(2011, short-term contract position)
· Commissioned to investigate, report, and make recommendations on the Department’s capabilities collecting data linking teachers to students as part of a statewide Teacher Accountability mandate.
· Proactively interviewed DOE stakeholders and subject matter experts and crafted a report which detailed the current reporting gaps which included non-integrated data of student’s academic class calendars and non-collection of period-level attendance.
· Recommended further investigation into electronic and/or passive collection of class attendance.
· Developed prototype data model and algorithm for collecting and summarizing attendance data.
Systems Engineer / Project Manager,
Atlantic Container Lines, South Plainfield, NJ
(1997 – 1998, employee)
· Designed major components of a global, client/server, ordering and reservation application for trans-oceanic container shipments.
· Coordinated analysis, development, testing, and deployment activities. Client software successfully deployed across Europe and North America.
· Teamed with internationally deployed customer service managers to develop and deliver training to customer service reps on new reservation system.
Business Process Engineer / Management Consultant,
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ
(1993 – 1995, employee)
· Analysis, simulation, and specification of resource reservation algorithms for network-based video conferencing services.
· Group facilitation and business process engineering contributions to the reengineering of the sales, ordering, and distribution process of wireless network equipment.
· Authored system requirements for a cell-site equipment configurator. Parts lists were generated based on features included in customer orders.
Financial Systems Analyst,
UNIX Systems Laboratories, Summit, NJ
(1991 – 1993, employee)
· Creation of a system of shared worksheets that increased business planning productivity and effectiveness.
· Interpreted financial results and created management financial reports for senior management including sensitivity analysis to measure and forecast effects of business decisions on profitability.
AT&T Business Markets Division, East Brunswick, NJ
(1989 – 1991, employee)
· Key contributor to an analyst team writing specifications for telecommunications billing software.
· Key architect/engineer of national account summary billing application designed to counter strategic billing initiatives by major competitors.
Founding Member / Past President,
431 W 121 Street Housing Development Corp., New York, NY
(Active as current Board Member / Shareholder)
· Led a “sweat equity” NYC Housing cooperative which had purchased a foreclosed building from the city and renovated it via municipal loans and tax abatements.
· Facilitated Board meetings.
· Negotiated renovation contracts.
· Mediated disputes among shareholders.
Registered Representative, PFS Investments, Inc.
(1995- Present, part-time)
· Maintaining client relationships thru education, counseling, and advising them of their choices regarding investments, retirement planning, and insurance options.
· Prospecting, soliciting, and enrolling new clients and associates.
Education and Training
B.S. Operations Research,
· Concentration in Economics.
Dept of Industrial and Systems Engineering,
Rutgers University, M.S. Program.
· Completed core curriculum of 21 credit hours towards M.S. Systems Engineering degree.
· Concentration in Marketing, Production, and Distribution Processes.
Other Training Vendors - over two dozen courses covering:
· Leadership, Facilitation, and Advanced Sales Training.
· Information Engineering, Computer Simulation, and Decision Support.
· Business Process Reengineering and Organizational Change.
· Marathoner - five-time finisher, New York City Marathon. Seven career marathon finishes to date.
· Oarsman – placed 9th in age/weight group at 2014 World Indoor Rowing Championships.
· Volunteer Crew Member, Anthony Robbins Live Events.
· Independent Candidate for Congress (2006, 2008)
Preferred Work Locations
· Central New Jersey
· New York City
Herb Tarbous for Middlesex County Clerk
411 New Market Rd. Piscataway, NJ 08854 US
Copyright © 2020 Paid for by Herb Tarbous for Middlesex County Clerk